quesTraining Period Should be considered for Gratuity or not

I have joined a private company in 1st July 2011 as Graduate Engineer Trainee after completing my B-Tech. After 1 year I got confirmation & designated as Executive Cadre. Now on last 03rd August 2016, I have resigned from the company.Now I was discussing with my HR regarding the Gratuity. They are telling I am not eligible for Gratuity as I have completed only 4 years.In fact i have completed 5years including training period. Pls clarify whether i am correct or my company is correct.

  • ansWith regard to gratuity, there is a difference between an "apprentice" and "trainee". If you are an "apprentice" as per the definition under the Apprenticeship Act, then your training period is not included for calculating the entire service period. But if you are a "trainee", then you can file a claim for including the training period in the entire service period, subject to the provisions of your employment agreement/ appointment letter. In some cases, gratuity can be claimed even before completion of the 5-year period, and in some cases gratuity can be withheld even after completion of the 5-year period - this will depend on the complete facts and circumstances of your case. Since you are leaving the company after completion of 5 years of service, there is a chance for you to claim gratuity - subject to other facts.

    Advocate Asha S Anand

      Gandhinagar, Bangalore

  • Send a legal notice for recovery of dues from employer @ Rs. 1999/- only

    Know More
  • Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at LawRato.com and has been responded by one of the Labour & Service Lawyers at LawRato.com to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at LawRato.com or book a Detailed Consultation with a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.
Consult best Labour & Service lawyers in India

Similar questions

respected sir, i am from itanagar, around 20 days ago my uncle died on an…
Respected sir My question is that ___my father died on 2011 when my age was…
An employee works in a government aided school in Bihar. School is affiliated to Bihar…
i was working at saint gobain india ltd gyproc on team lease pay roll. i…

Labour & Service Lawyers in India

Advocate Wg Cdr Ajit Kakkar (Retd)

 Experience: 17 years

Advocate Harish Malhotra

  District Court
 Experience: 19 years

Advocate Sunil Dalal

  New Friends Colony
 Experience: 20 years

Advocate Saurabh Dalal

  Punjab and Haryana High Court
 Experience: 11 years

View all >>

Quick Consult

Get 15 Minutes of Expert Legal Advice on Phone right now

Ask a Free Question

Post a Question online and get free advice from multiple lawyers by email

Find a Lawyer

Easily find and book private consults with top lawyers in India

Get Fee Estimate

Receive multiple quotations for your legal requirement instantly