Left job w/o resigning. Company sent legal notice. How to respond?

I left the job in a small IT company without giving any resignation. Working environment was very bad and there was no increment in the salary from the past 2 years.

Now the company has sent me the legal notice asking me to pay project cost that I was heading and the company suffered loss as I have gone absconding.

So how can I go about it? And how do I save myself?

We would like to suggest you that you should reply to the legal notice to avoid initiation of any court proceedings against yourself.

Now to give you proper legal advice we would like to look at your employment contract.

Basically in most of the employment contract there is a necessity to give resignation and serve a notice period of 1 or 2 months.

And it includes a buyout clause as well as per which you can pay the salary for the notice period and absent yourself from working in the said notice period.