Can a US citizen file case against an Indian in US for fraud

25-Apr-2023 (In International Law Law)
If a US citizen living in New york is frauded by an Indian citizen through calls and Internet of $1000 so what the extent can US police gone can they arrest guy after coming all over to Delhi. and if there's a guy who's helping US police then what would be its legal consequences?
Answers (3)

Answer #1
968 votes
The US police needs to get in touch with the respective State police in India through the embassy and ministry of external affairs. Only then can they come and arrest the person. Not otherwise. Kindly get in touch with the ministry and embassy.

Answer #2
795 votes
Y , if part of cause of action arose in us, or he has pr, work permit etc. , We have to read file / case carefully so that ur case should be admitted in us court, accused should be in us and u have to engage local lawyer in us
Answer #3
719 votes
Yes, naturally. The FBI may want to be involved since the amount although individually is less than $5000, cumulatively, it may be over $5000 and the FBI may assert jurisdiction since the fraud has occurred in the US. If the perpetrator is found in India, the local Indian Police will have to be involved. Only after investigation would there be a need for extradition. However, the FBI may lodge a complaint on behalf of several US citizens and prosecute the perpetrator in India.

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Divorce Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details.

Report abuse?

Comments by Users

No Comments! Be the first one to comment.

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."