Wife wants divorce byt I do not

We are in a relationship since August 2018 and got court marriage done on January 22nd 2020. I am a Bengali and she is a Delhiite. We had a very tough time convincing her parents for this interstate marriage. All went very well and we had our engagement and ring ceremony on January 22nd 2020 along with getting our marriage registered in West Bengal. The next day I had an argument with my wife and she felt very down. Later in the weekend when she reached Delhi, she decided to separate and file for a divorce. The reasons she has specified that we are not compatible and we do not understand each others' opinion and feelings. She also said that we are very different and she does not see a good future with us. I have tried to convince her that I will eliminate my negative vibes from myself and I am really willing to give this relationship another chance and I said that we can work out for the betterment of our relationship. Unfortunately she is standing firm on her decision to separate.

Answers (3)

163 votes

please note not the individuals give divorce or has right to do so. It is only the court which has power to decide the case on marit and allowes Divorce of couple in India.

Next no divorce application can be filed in court before one year of the marriage as per Hindu Law. So your wife cant file it till one year expires.
Mearly saying that we arenot compitable is not a ground for taking divorce. So you chill till then and start pursuing your wife to come back or if she do not agree for it file a case under Sec 9 of Hindu Law for restitution of your conjugal rights.
Good Luck.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

115 votes

hi dear, if you want to file a divorce case, it would be not possible for you, because you have just married with her, you have to take time for filing a divorce petition but we can help you by another legal proceedings.

Popular Family Lawyers

Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
34 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
20 years Experience
Advocate Rajeev Nigam
Kanpur Nagar, Kanpur
27 years Experience
Advocate Bala Janaki
330 Thambuchetty Street, Chennai
36 years Experience
209 votes

sir, first of all the court will not grant divorce on the very first instance. since your issues some thing that can be resolved the court provides u with the option of going for mediation. where you can mention your issues infront of a mediator and can get expert opinions. before granting divorce courts gives the couple a cooling period of 6 months to reside together so that if they feel they can live together then the divorce petition would be dismissed. second option is you can file a petition under sec.9 of HMA. for restitution of conjugal rights.

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at LawRato.com and has been responded by one of the Family Lawyers at LawRato.com to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at LawRato.com or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

"LawRato.com has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."