My in-laws harassing me and husband also not listening, please advise.

I am a Gujarati Jain married woman of 42 years. I am being harassed by my husband and my in-laws. Though I, my daughter and my husband live separately from my in-laws, my in-laws have taken total control of my husband and my husband also neglects me and my daughter and leaves home in the morning to work as my brother in law and father in law instructs him.He tells me that he will take me out on Sunday, but when my brother in law says no, how much my husband has promised, he will refuse to take me out. Someone's not well in my in laws house. They make my husband leave the house early in morning, to open our shop, and dies not let us b together . My husband also listens to them all the time. My marriage life is in jeopardy, my husband never keeps his commitment with our daughter also. Pls tell me what action can I take to teach them a lesson.

Answers (3)

264 votes

In your case it is the in-laws who bothered you and your husband, your husband obey their instructions and your interests are curtailed by them. The option left is to tune your husband to an extent of giving priorities to your options failing which you have to choose to lead an independent life by quitting all in-laws at an independent house along with your husband,
secondly you may have to file a case against your husband for maintenance in the family court, wait and watch their reactions, by which you can live ,

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

292 votes

The law is very clear and in favour of married woman. You can avail several options but I think you not interested to take any actin either against your husband and in-laws, because of question of security. If you are financially independent then you can proceed. You will be relieved of all problems, the only question before your to take a decision to fight against your husband and in-laws.

Popular Family Lawyers

Advocate H Gouri Shankar
Dilsukhnagar, Hyderabad
24 years Experience
Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
33 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
19 years Experience
Advocate Bala Janaki
330 Thambuchetty Street, Chennai
35 years Experience
121 votes

Try to solve the difference between you and your husband with the intervention of your family members. If you can show the mental or physical cruelty, domestic violence by your husband, then you can seek remedy under the DV act.

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Family Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."