Is working woman not entitled to maintenance post separation

Religion: Hindu. I got married in Delhi on May 2013, we stayed in my matrimonial house for 15 days as we both were working, later I took transfer and shifted with my husband in Bangalore on June 2013. We used to go my matrimonial house once in year during Diwali festival. Demands of my husband & in-laws were increasing day by day & they were not treating me well and they also restricted me from visiting my parents. They were also taking share from my salary, when we were not able to meet their demands, my husband deserted me and shifted to abroad. Case is going on & is on interim arguments stage, but I feel that my lawyer is forcing me to settle the matter by accepting some amount. We have the proof of dowry which we gave hard core cash worth 16 Lakh. But my lawyer is neither asking for stridhan nor for the matrimonial house. He is saying that since I am a working lady, I will not get anything, If I am working can my husband leave me without saying a word. Am I not entitled to anything.

Answers (5)

145 votes

Working women here affects the amount given to you in lieu of maintainance only. You are entitled for getting your stridhan along with the amount spent by your parents for your marriage. Why don’t you go for case of domestic violence and dowry against your in laws. Let them face trial

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

64 votes

Dear Quearest

As per facts you are working, for this reason you will not be liable to get maintenance, because of law laid down by the various courts. But you are still liable to get your Stridhan and dowry which your family gave to your in-laws.

Popular Family Lawyers

Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
34 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
20 years Experience
Advocate Bala Janaki
330 Thambuchetty Street, Chennai
36 years Experience
Advocate Barkha Bhalla
Banjara Hills, Hyderabad
18 years Experience
285 votes

A working woman is very much entitled to maintenance if she is not earning enough to Maintain herself eqvivalent to status and standard enjoyed by the Husband . Also , the right to maintaenace continues as long as she does not remarry or become unchaste . Stridhan is your absolute property and nobody can take that away from you .

90 votes

You do have the right to maintenance and also right to residence. You are being wrongly advised that since you are working you will not get anything. Your case is going on and at this stage it is necessary to press these things with relevant case laws during arguments.

112 votes

You are very well entitled to your share in his property as well as other things.
Yes as you are working it well effect your case. And the amount will be less but that doesn't mean u are not entitled of anything.
You need to fight till end
Cases u can file divorce under cruelty maintenance criminal complaint etc

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Family Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."