Can a wife claim maintenance after divorce

26-Apr-2023 (In Family Law)
Dear sir/madam, My brother in law is not taking my sister to his home last 2years.he have affair with some other girl. What to we want to take divorce.if we go Though court shall we get dowry,and maintenance cost. Please suggest me please.
Answers (5)

Answer #1
698 votes
Dear Sir,
Now a days these type of issues are increasing day by day due to westernized of our Indian culture.
In your case first you have to file maintenance case and DVC case against your brother in law through Advocate.
Helpful? LawRato LawRato
Answer #2
527 votes
Dear User,
You can file case on your brother in law with proper evidence that he is having affair with some one and not showing interest to take your sister on this base we can file case on him and your sister will get alimony at a time or maintenance as her wish.
Helpful? LawRato LawRato
Answer #3
653 votes
Dear client, either taking or giving dowry is a crime, So u should not claim for dowrry but Ur sister can file a petition in the family Court for her monthly maintenance, Court will award an amt based on your brother-in-law's earnings P.M. You should have to prove that Along with maintenance u can file a petition for Restitution of conjugal Rights. If he is not interested take back Ur sister, He may return back the dowry AMT and other expenses and maintenance charges also.
Helpful? LawRato LawRato
Answer #4
515 votes
If your sister proves or any evidence her husband illegal relationship with other girl.
1. First go to police station and file a case or approach any advocate to file a private complaint in court. Or
2. Send a legal notice through advocate and and file a RCR.
Any advice/further steps contact me.
Helpful? LawRato LawRato
Answer #5
717 votes
According to Hindu Law every house wife (not being a job holder) who has taken divorce from husband is eligible to claim maintenance. According to dowry prohibition act accepting and paying the dowry is punishable offence. your sister can claim gold and any household articles gifted at the time of marriage (subjected to submission of proofs to the hon,ble court).
Helpful? LawRato LawRato

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Divorce Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details.

Report abuse?

Comments by Users

No Comments! Be the first one to comment.

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."