Boy promised to marry but later refused, what can be done?

I'm not sure whether there is a law for this. I had gone thru tremendous mental stress thru my marriage, I came out of my marriage and started living better life by making myself strong. It's took lot of pain and effort to come back to a normal life. At this time i used to take training form one of the trainer on one of the technology. I never had any conversation with him other than training. Later he proposed me for marriage and i told him everything about my past in details. Even after listening to all that he said he is proud of me and still willing to get married to me. I had told told in the beginning your parents will not accept and hence stay away from me. But he made promises and we are in relationship for 5 months and after giving all my commitments he is coming back and saying he can't marry me because of parents and he will marry his one of the relative girl.

Answers (5)

108 votes

Dear friend,
There are various complications and issues arising out of it ,in short n long term hence a single explanation by any Advocate would or might take u to wrong ends , hence better consult n understand all parameters before coming to any conclusions. You may call or contact at our office : Adv pankaj Kumar & associate...

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

320 votes

There is support of Law for taking legal action for going back on the promise to marry, but you need to have some kind of evidence to support your claim against him. You can also lodge an police complaint.

Popular Family Lawyers

Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
33 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
19 years Experience
Advocate Bala Janaki
330 Thambuchetty Street, Chennai
35 years Experience
Advocate Barkha Bhalla
Banjara Hills, Hyderabad
17 years Experience
114 votes


There is no particular law for this kind of Question. It may be referred as cheating or harassment also. In case if you willing to file a case against him, you can bout only with a document. In case is you have a strong proof of your relationship you may get relief for some extent only. Here you need to prove everything and each and every movements.

Please think once you proceed.

300 votes

If the boy promised to marry you and you trusted his words and because of that promise and trust, you cooperated with him and had a physical relationship and now if he is breaking that promise, then you have case.
You can file a cheating and breach of trust case against him

--- Advocate C V Srinivasa

91 votes

people like you must understand first that you are also worth. If you do not care your worthiness, who will care it. one must respect himself. If any body does not respect themselves in the guise of respecting others, it is bad. So, please take care of yourself. Consult an advocate. Personal hearing is required to solve your problem or else suggesting salvation.

God will always waiting to help those who are in distress. Good luck

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Family Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."