Legal procedure & documents required for court marriage

Sir we want to do court marriage with in day in kolkata i am from bhopal but she is from kolkata i am also now in kolkata for working but the problem is from her side her mom and dad are not accepting our relationship so we decided to do court marriage as soon as possible for secure and safe life what is fees and all are needed please tell me what should i do both of are mature i am 30 and she is 26 year old help me we both are belong to hindu religion

Answers (4)

316 votes

One month notice period is mandatory for court marriage. Application should be signed by both the parties. SIXTEEN COPY PASSPORT SIZE photographs of both will be required. Address proof and Age proof of both will be required for making application.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

284 votes

Marriages are to be registered. If it is involving two religions then it should be registered under the Special Marriage Act. If both are HIndus then the marriage is registerable under Hindu Marriage Act and the Special Marriage Act.

One month's notice is to be given for marriage by both the parties to the Registrar who places the notice in his notice board for public information. Anyone can object. If the marriage is objected then the Registrar hears the plea and decides.

Popular Documentation Lawyers

Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
33 years Experience
Advocate Barkha Bhalla
Banjara Hills, Hyderabad
17 years Experience
Advocate Rajeev Nigam
Kanpur Nagar, Kanpur
26 years Experience
Advocate Rajesh K.S
Subedar Chatram Road (SC Road), Bangalore
14 years Experience
265 votes

Please note that the fees for Marriage under the law vary from State to State.
You need to give 30 days prior notice to the marriage officer of the district where they reside or at least one of them. You need to apply with two passport size colored photographs, photo copy self attested of class 10 admit card & voter id or Aadhar card of both you and your to be wife.
The Marriage Officer then gives notice in this respect and sought any objection. If no objection is received to the marriage officer on the concerned Marriage within 30 days of publishing the above notice, the marriage officer process the marriage.
You can even appeal before the District Magistrate if the Marriage Officer do not process your Marriage within 30 days after the Marriage Officer declined to process.
You also need two witnesses for each of the Bride and Bridegroom.

317 votes

If you both are Hindus then as per Hindu Marriage Act under section 7(2), if you perform Saptapadi, marriage is complete, registering it takes 7 working days, I can tell you from where you can do the same. In pressence of friends, video recording and clear pictures of marriage in temple is more than sufficient for evidence purpose.

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Documentation Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Related Articles