Cancel marriage certificate mutual divorce letter obtained from masjid

We mutually divorced from masjid and now i would like to know how can i cancel the certificate registered in my panchayat office which is Indian marriage certificate? both of us required to cancel it? if she is not coming to panchayat to cancel what should i do? i have mutual agreement signed and divorced letter from masjid signed by both party.

Answers (3)

311 votes


In this case, the marriage registered in the panchayath can be cancelled only by a court order. You can file a joint petition (if your wife is willing) or a unilateral divorce petition in the Family court concerned to obtain a Divorce order.


Sheejish PT

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

148 votes

The query is short of basic facts. What do you mean by "We mutually divorced from masjid "? To my knowledge such a process or procedure is unknown to law. Anyhow, there is no process or procedure in cancelling the marriage registration. It is only that the marriage could be dissolved through divorce following the due process.

Popular Documentation Lawyers

Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
34 years Experience
Advocate Rajeev Nigam
Kanpur Nagar, Kanpur
27 years Experience
Advocate Ravi Jadhav
Koregaon Park, Pune
13 years Experience
Advocate Rajesh K.S
Subedar Chatram Road (SC Road), Bangalore
15 years Experience
89 votes

After a legal divorce no cancellation of marriage certificate is not necessary. Even then you can apply to the concerned panjayath, with the copy/original of mutual agreement signed and divorced letter from masjid , for cancelling the certificate.

Report abuse?

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Documentation Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Related Articles