Procedure to file for divorce if got married outside India

Me and my husband both are Indian citizens. He is on H1 b visa in US. We got married in Canada in October 2016. Is it feasible to file a divorce in India????

Answers (5)

237 votes


Regarding your query. You need to specify the exact location where you are residing as that will determine the jurisdiction of the Court to file the case. If you are residing in Toronto , Canada I can put your through to well established colleagues who are handling matters of similar nature in that jurisdiction. However if you are in Delhi, I would need a few more details to provide you with a proper structure. But yes, if you are in Delhi you can proceed to file the case over here.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

341 votes

you can file the divorce petition in India under the relevant section of Hindu Marriage Act
But you have not mentioned that whether you are residing in Canada or not. As this will decide the status of filing the divorce petition in India.

Popular Divorce Lawyers

Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
34 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
20 years Experience
Advocate Rajesh Rai
Sector-19, Dwarka, Delhi
21 years Experience
Advocate Wg Cdr Ajit Kakkar (Retd)
Dwarka, Delhi
21 years Experience
182 votes

Yes u can file in India, provided u r currently staying in India, but if u r coming only to India for filing divorce petition than not possible, as per territorial jurisdiction if u currently living in India u can file it here

272 votes

Yes, If either of you are presently staying in India, you may file divorce petition here.

If your are Hindu then section 19 of Hindu Marriage Act applies which says "Every petition under this Act shall be presented to the district court within the local limits of whose ordinary original civil jurisdiction the marriage was solemnized or the husband and wife reside or last resided together." There are similar provisions for persons of other religion as well.

343 votes

Yes as per indian law you can file your divorce case in india and contest here only, but for that you need to tell all the facts and circumstances to obtain decree kf divorce from concerned court od law

Report abuse?

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Divorce Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Related Articles