quesHow do we divide our property in divorce? Some money given by parents.

We plan to apply for a Mutual Divorce and have a query related to distribution of networth. My parents have given us Rs 8 lakhs (40-50% of flat cost) to buy a flat after we got married. This was given after 1 year we got married.


My question is that if we take a divorce, are we liable to pay parents 40-50% of flat current value OR Rs 8 lakhs + interest. Please advise. 


Will your answer would be different if money is given by husband or wife parents?


  • Planning to Divorce? Marriage Counselling can help

    Consult Now
    • ans


      To properly answer this question we need to know as to whether the said amount of Rs. 8 Lakhs was given to you as a GIFT or a LOAN.


      If it is a loan then you shall be liable to payback the amount with interest. The flat is jointly owned by you and your wife and your parents do not have any right in this. (This is immaterial of whose parents had given this loan)


      Now, if it was a gift then:


      i. If the husbands parents had given: the parents cannot claim it back as once the gift is transferred you are the legal owner of the property gifted, in this case cash.


      ii. Now if it has been given by the wifes parents then this cash shall come within the purview of streedhan and the same belongs to the wife and at the time of divorce, the wife can claim this entire amount from the husband.


      We would also like to mention that in case your parents had created a condition that you shall have to return the money in case you take a divorce then such a condtion is not valid in the eyes of law and the contract is void ab initio. 


    • File Mutual Consent Divorce @ Rs. 25,000/- only

      Know More
    • Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at LawRato.com and has been responded by one of the Divorce Lawyers at LawRato.com to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at LawRato.com or book a Detailed Consultation with a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.
    • Related Articles

    Consult best Divorce lawyers in India

    Similar questions

    My husband has filed a divorce.i am in my in-laws ancestor house along with my…

    Hi there, I am married for 6 months.My wife and myself didn't have terms good…

    Sir meri shadi 2015 me hui.h.meri wife ka kisi ke sath affair hai.jab maine apni…

    Hi, I married last year, my husband have female best friend with whom he share…

    Divorce Lawyers in India

    Advocate Arjun Vinod Bobde

      Supreme Court of India
     Experience: 16 years

    Advocate Prashant Mendiratta

      Lajpat Nagar 4
     Experience: 24 years

    Advocate Nagesh B L

     Experience: 23 years

    Advocate Prabhjit Jauhar

      Connaught Place
     Experience: 20 years

    View all >>

    Quick Consult

    Get 15 Minutes of Expert Legal Advice on Phone right now

    Ask a Free Question

    Post a Question online and get free advice from multiple lawyers by email

    Find a Lawyer

    Easily find and book private consults with top lawyers in India

    Get Fee Estimate

    Receive multiple quotations for your legal requirement instantly