Is it necessary to file a report of domestic violence in the same city

Is it necessary to report about domestic voilance in the same city? I am scares if i report to police, i will be more harrased. Can i go my home town first and than report about it? Please reply...

Answers (4)

321 votes

Hi, it's not mandatory to file a case against domestic violence in your city. You can go back to your home town and file a case there. You have a very strong case and if you are determined to fight against it, you will win. Wish you good luck :)

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

152 votes

Technically the complaint should be made where the crime is committed. However, this kind of harassment also includes mental harassment which continues even if you go back to your home town. Thus it can be reported anywhere but the complaint has to be cleverly drafted.

Popular Criminal Lawyers

Advocate Rajesh Rai
Sector-19, Dwarka, Delhi
20 years Experience
Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
33 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
19 years Experience
Advocate Jaspreet Singh Rai
Greater Kailash 1, Delhi
17 years Experience
238 votes

Dear Client,
As you are aggrieved from domestic violence. You have all the opportunity to file/lodge an FIR/Complaint with the local police officer/protection officer or directly to the Magistrate Conserned. So you can lodge an FIR at three places.
a) where you resides;
b) where your in laws resides; or
c) where the offence has taken place.
In case of any other legal assistance please feel free to contact.
Tushar Bahadur,

106 votes

It's not necessary to report for domestic voilence for same court. You can file that report where u live. Don't be scared and go to first your mother land and than you can report for domestic voilence there.

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Criminal Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Related Articles