Filing an FIR in other State in Which Person Is Not Living

27-Aug-2023 (In Criminal Law)
Can I file an FIR of a person living in Mathura from Mumbai? Basically someone has filed wrong FIR. Now I want to file case on him for wrongly filing case on us
Answers (4)

Answer #1
677 votes
Yes FIR can be filed, but the crime should have taken place in that area where the police station is.

But for better relief in your case. First you should file a case for quashing of the FIR, in which wrong FIR is cancelled by the court & then after that you should file for the defamation case in which you should claim money for wrong FIR.

Answer #2
917 votes
File a case against them in mathura or where the cause of action arose better to approch court for more clarity you may contact us then I will elaborate properly about that issue.
Advocate Anurag Bhatt
Allahabad High Court
Answer #3
747 votes
yes you can lodge an FIR registered person who is living in Mathura is in another state would be able to file against FIR him in Mathura . but the better way is that to file a case in High Court Allahabad . so you can get some relief dead person will be arrested soon .
Answer #4
470 votes
Filing an FIR (First Information Report) in a state where a person is not currently residing can be done under certain circumstances. Here's what you need to know:
  1. Territorial Jurisdiction: Normally, an FIR is filed in the police station having jurisdiction over the area where the incident occurred. However, there are exceptions:
    • Jurisdiction of Crime: If the crime took place in one state but its effects or consequences are felt in another state, an FIR can often be filed in either state.
    • Exceptional Circumstances: In exceptional cases, you can approach the police station in your current location and provide them with all the details of the incident. They may then forward the information to the relevant police station in the state where the incident occurred.
  2. Transferring FIR: In some situations, if the FIR is filed in the wrong jurisdiction, the concerned police station may transfer it to the appropriate jurisdiction. This process can be initiated by either the police or by approaching the court.
  3. Online FIR: Some states allow the filing of FIRs online. You can visit the official website of the Police and follow the online FIR registration process in such States. 
Helpful? LawRato LawRato

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Divorce Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details.

Report abuse?

Comments by Users

No Comments! Be the first one to comment.

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."