Criminal Trial Procedure in Non-cognizable offences

In Criminal Law
Hello, What is the Criminal Trial Procedure in Non-cognizable offences having punishment upto 3 years. offences having more than 2 year of punishment are summon cases and offences having punishment more than 2 years are warrant cases. In a case where the punishment is more than 2 years (being warrant case) but the offence is non-cognizable. In such case, should the criminal complaint be directly file before magistrate u/s 190 crpc or first i have to file complaint u/s 155 crpc before SHO and then seek direction from magistrate u/s 155(2)crpc for conducting investigation? Thanks

Answers (1)

261 votes

The basic premise of a non-cognizable case is that the police officer cannot arrest without a warrant ( Section 2(l) crpc. You can directly file an FIR, but the policeman will have to apply for a warrant before a magistrate. in such a case, it is advisable to directly file a complaint before the magistrate.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.


Popular Criminal Lawyers

Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
35 years Experience
Advocate Rajesh Rai
Sector-19, Dwarka, Delhi
22 years Experience
Advocate Rajeev Nigam
Kanpur Nagar, Kanpur
28 years Experience
Advocate H Gouri Shankar
Banjara Hills, Hyderabad
26 years Experience

Report abuse?

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Criminal Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Related Articles