RWA asking maintenance amount for power backup. Not even living there

My in laws have a property in Gaziabad under society. The residents have formed RWA. The maintenace claimed by RWA among others include power backup. All cost are on sharing basis including cost of running the generator for power backup. As my inlaws do not live in the property and not using the electricity (infact they are yet to get meter installed), they have refused to share the cost of the power backup. However RWA insist on getting the amount including cost of power backup. Kindly advise who is right, my inlaws or RWA? Also can they take matter to consumer court?

Going by what you have shared herein it is advised that if the meter connection has not been installed then your in-laws are within their right not to share the cost of power. Please also specify if your inlaws have entered into any written agreement with the RWA's..

Hi, usually for RWA members, even if the house is vacant, the owners are liable to pay maintenance for the house, water and electricity. Therefore, even though your in-laws are not living in the said property, in all likelihood, they will have to pay for the power back-up.

in these circumstances first you have to confirm that it this RWA is a registered society or just a body. it this RWA is registered society it is upon you whether you want to be part of it or not. in normal circumstances people voluntarily become part of the society and contribute for various reasons. but if you dont want to become member of the society RWA no one can compel you to become member or contribute anything.