Legal procedure to change a lawyer while the case is still going on

Pls tell me my lawyer is not taking call from my side and he does not gudie us properly what we should do Shift_L

Answers (4)

302 votes

There is no special procedure to change a lawyer , if one is not satisfied with the services rendered by him.
Just engage a new lawyer and informed your court regarding the same by simply saying that you have engage a new one and does not require the services on old one.
The court will discharge the earlier appointed advocate with the new one engaged by you.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

203 votes

You need to clear all the pending invoices (if any), get no objection and signatures from the outgoing advocate on the new Vakalatnama. The new Vakalatnama authorizing the incoming advocate needs to be filed before the relevant forum.

Popular Civil Lawyers

Advocate Rajeev Nigam
Kanpur Nagar, Kanpur
27 years Experience
Advocate Kapil Chandna
Patiala House Court, Delhi
9 years Experience
Advocate Vivek Sharma
Govindpuram, Ghaziabad
5 years Experience
Advocate Ravi Jadhav
Koregaon Park, Pune
13 years Experience
223 votes

You must try to talk the issue out with the lawyer first. Maybe there is a communication gap.
Incase he feels that he is unable to give time to the matter and you want to shift, you may take a non objection from the existing advocate and engage some other counsel.

128 votes

You can at any time change your lawyer. Just engage a new lawyer and make statement in court that you withdraw the authority given by you to your previous lawyer.

Further you need not worry about case file as you can get certified copy from the court itself.

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Civil Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Related Articles