How can I claim money from a person who owes it to me

Good evening. I\'m a doctor at a reputed medical college & only recently resigned. My question is regarding an issue that happened on an unofficial tour we went with some staff from the hospital. One of the technicians broke my phone and did not repair it. So i repaired it and told her to pay for the repairs. I gave her a discount of 30% on the total repair work yet she is only ready to pay 50% of the amount and that too over 7 months so she can avoid once I move from here. Do I have any options of claiming my money back?

In this case, it is better for you to file a police complaint stating that she promised to give you next month itself, for which she is not ready to pay then.

Regards,

Sheejish
Advocate,
Ernakulam

In my considered opinion, the issue is not worth pursuing in a civil action. It is well nigh impossible to prove that she had deliberately damaged it? Moreover, such a drawn out litigation would cost much money and may be, even your reputation.

Perhaps, you may try your luck in the Adalat held by the Legal Services Authority.

Advocate Swapnil Jamkar
Chhatrapati Square, Nagpur
Advocate Surangama Sharma
Gomti Nagar, Lucknow

Of course, you have a remedy under the civil law to get damages for the loss suffered by you at the hands of another. Since the liability is tortuous, the burden will be n you to prove that the loss has occurred due to the action of the other. Therefore essentially you will have to prove that the loss occurred due to the action of the other. If you are able to prove the same you are entitled to get damages.