What is the punishment in case of cheque bounce

What is the punishment given to the issuer of a cheque in case of its bouncing. The cheque's amount is approximately Rs. 6Lakhs. Also, what is to be done to file the complaint and how much time does it usually take to resolve such cases and to get the money from the issuer of the cheque?

Answers (3)

197 votes

Maximum punishment for accused in cheque bounce cases is 3 years with fine that can amount to double the amount of cheque....for remedy legal notice should be sent and then criminal complaint under section 138 negotiable instrument act....

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

241 votes

There may be up to 3 years for cheque bounce and submission of amount at the same time.
First of all , tell when cheque is dishonored. We will send legal notice to defaulter followed by filing of case.
Case is good on merits

Popular Cheque Bounce Lawyers

Advocate Pradeep Kumar
Rohini Court, Delhi
14 years Experience
Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
34 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
20 years Experience
Advocate Rajeev Nigam
Kanpur Nagar, Kanpur
27 years Experience
55 votes

Under section 138 of N.I. Act provisions are for double of amount of cheque or one year imprisonment or both. This is a bailable offence. Though it is a summary suit of criminal nature, even the procedure of CrPC has to be adopted for evidence and cross examination of witnesses. There are guidelines from Supreme court to dispose of matter under section 138 of N.I. Act within 6 month time but practically it is not being done by the lower courts.

Report abuse?

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at LawRato.com and has been responded by one of the Cheque Bounce Lawyers at LawRato.com to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at LawRato.com or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

"LawRato.com has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Related Articles