What is the punishment in case of cheque bounce

What is the punishment given to the issuer of a cheque in case of its bouncing. The cheque's amount is approximately Rs. 6Lakhs. Also, what is to be done to file the complaint and how much time does it usually take to resolve such cases and to get the money from the issuer of the cheque?

Under section 138 of N.I. Act provisions are for double of amount of cheque or one year imprisonment or both. This is a bailable offence. Though it is a summary suit of criminal nature, even the procedure of CrPC has to be adopted for evidence and cross examination of witnesses. There are guidelines from Supreme court to dispose of matter under section 138 of N.I. Act within 6 month time but practically it is not being done by the lower courts.

There may be up to 3 years for cheque bounce and submission of amount at the same time.
First of all , tell when cheque is dishonored. We will send legal notice to defaulter followed by filing of case.
Case is good on merits

Maximum punishment for accused in cheque bounce cases is 3 years with fine that can amount to double the amount of cheque....for remedy legal notice should be sent and then criminal complaint under section 138 negotiable instrument act....