Procedure on appearance before court under section 138 of NI Act

Someone filed a case against me in Mumbai Court for Section 138 and 141...I attended first hearing...then on the second date our number was not called in the court...the date was 5th March.....then third hearing is on 9th March but unable to attend...what should I do now plz reply urgently...I am from Ranchi and case is in Mumbai

Answers (3)

238 votes

Appoint any local lawyer for handling the case. If you want to proceed then it is required to appoint lawyer. If you want to compromise then ask for time before the Court.
If on the date fixed in the case. your case is not called out then on the same day mention it before the Court so that the same can be clarified

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

72 votes

Respected sir,
First of all engage a lawyer to defend your case. By next date file your appearance through an advocate and seek time to file a reply. The court will grant time for filing a reply, then the matter shall proceed. Make sure you actively engage lawyer soon, or else court will proceed in your absence.

Popular Cheque Bounce Lawyers

Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
32 years Experience
Advocate Saifuddin Saifee
Maharani Road, Indore
18 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
18 years Experience
Advocate Shikhar Khare
Jangpura Extension, Delhi
6 years Experience
206 votes

Good evening Sir,

In such a scenario, you should have a permanent exemption application filed by your lawyer on the ground that you reside in Ranchi, and it is not practical for you to attend court on all the dates of hearing.

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Cheque Bounce Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Articles

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Similar questions

Hi, If somebody cancel a cheque issued earlier( due to lgitimate reasons), but the cheque is still with beneficiary, can the issuer be tried under sec…

Read More

My Self r Live in Faridabad. I have a 1 Lakh Rs. personal loan of HDFC BANK. I have complete 7 Emi of Hdfc Loan Emi. Suddenly My Head Injury Accident.…

Read More

I have small used vehicle financial service provider company .I have more than 110 client based portfolio.I just provide loan from raj finance company…

Read More

My opponent is a nationwide distributor of Computers and this company filed a case against me (in Delhi) for a cheque (Rs.20 Lacs approx) STOPPED BY M…

Read More