Friend borrowed money now not paying back cheque got bounced

My Friend borrowed money and gave me cheque which bounced . I have sent him notice with Cheque return memo of Bounced Cheque. The date of notice has surpassed , he is still making excuses of retuning the money . What do I do next to recover money and compensation / harassment

Answers (5)

58 votes

You can file a civil complaint under section 138 of Negotiable Instrument Act, 1881 before Judicial Magistrate of the concerned jurisdiction.
I hope that the legal notice has been submitted within 30 days of return of memo asking for payment of the amount due. Further, also presume that the time for filling complaint as per legal notice has not been expired.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

144 votes

In this case you can file a case under section 138 of negotiable instrument act . there you can get the recovery and the cost of litigation with cost of harassment. if he doesn't pay the money he will be punished.

Popular Cheque Bounce Lawyers

Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
32 years Experience
Advocate Saifuddin Saifee
Maharani Road, Indore
18 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
18 years Experience
Advocate Shikhar Khare
Jangpura Extension, Delhi
6 years Experience
56 votes

You have to again bounce the cheque if the time of cheque three months from the date of cheque not complete. And after the bounce of cheque again send to the notice to him. If the money not refund. You may file a complaint under second 138 n I act.

245 votes

After fifteen days of Notice you can file a criminal complaint against your friend Under Section 138 of Negotiable Instrument Act within thirty days. After filing the complaint court summoned/notice to your friend.

133 votes

dear queerest,
you can file a compliant under negotiable instrument act before court conditions for file a suit under negotiable instrument are following demand notice after cheque bounce be send within 30 days from the date cheque bounce, after that you can file a complaint if the accused failed to make payment

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Cheque Bounce Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Articles

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Similar questions

X is a Pvt. Ltd. company and manufacture the medicines and supply to the Dealer cum Stockist Y, Y is supplying through their agents and stockists to t…

Read More

I have given 11 lakh as a handloan to one of my friend with no legal writing, the person has given me a post dated cheques( 3 cheques, parts of paymen…

Read More

I have issued 5 cheque leafs some one . They were deposited without my knowing to my bank. One cheque has been bounced ( 250000) today (04-07-2018). I…

Read More

Section 138 negotiable intruments act, i had given a chq to a relative for his help it ahs got bounced now that guy is preaching me to pay. is it poss…

Read More