Cheque return with reason bank closed

In Cheque Bounce Law
Cheque was returned with reason bank is closed (not account. complete bank is closed) . Can we still file complaint case under section 138 ni act?

Answers (5)

161 votes

Hi, if the cheque has been returned unpaid then send a legal notice under 138 demanding payment of the cheque amount. If the person is evasive or refuses to pay you may approach the magistrate’s court with a complaint under NI Act.

Please feel free to contact me for further assistance

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

268 votes

In bank account is closed… then you can not filed any case under section 138 but you can go for suit for recovery or order 37 according to the facts and documents available …thank you so much and please be in touch thank you

Popular Cheque Bounce Lawyers

Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
35 years Experience
Advocate H Gouri Shankar
Banjara Hills, Hyderabad
26 years Experience
Advocate Rajeev Nigam
Kanpur Nagar, Kanpur
28 years Experience
Advocate Bala Janaki
330 Thambuchetty Street, Chennai
37 years Experience
165 votes

In case the cheque has been issued on an account which is no longer maintained. You can proceed but first you will need to send a demand notice and give a window of 15 days to the drawer. In case he fails to make the payment then you may proceed.

Adv. Abhinav Sharma

264 votes

It’s not a valid excuse for filing a complaint case against the accused person under section 138. If the reason for the return is different then it will be a clear case for the cheque bounce. For more legal assistance I am just a call away.

56 votes

You must serve a notice to the drawer of cheque and if he does not make payment within 15 days period, you may approach court under Section 138 of Negotiable Instruments Act. Please remember notice must be servec within 30 days from the date of return memo

Report abuse?

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Cheque Bounce Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Related Articles