Can I put cheque in bank if I know account is closed

Hi my brother has given money of 2.8 lakhs and has taken cheque don’t know it’s current account r savings but one of my frnds told the issued cheque account is closed .. can still put chèque and file fraud case???

Answers (3)

317 votes

Yes, a case can be filled

the cheque is dishonoured as the amount of money standing to the credit of “that account” was “nil” at the relevant time apart from it being closed. Closure of the account would be an eventuality after the entire amount in the account is withdrawn. It means that there was no amount in the credit of “that account” on the relevant date when the cheque was presented for honouring the same. The expression “the amount of money standing to the credit of that account is insufficient to honour the cheque” is a genus of which the expression “that account being closed” is a specie.

After issuing the cheque drawn on an account maintained, a person, if he closes “that account” apart from the fact that it may amount to another offence, it would certainly be an offence

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

260 votes

Hi...yes u can produce the same cheque before the bank and you make it bouncecd and after that you can file a case for cheque bouncing and by that you have a chance of geting money back .
Thank you

Popular Cheque Bounce Lawyers

Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
34 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
20 years Experience
Advocate Rajeev Nigam
Kanpur Nagar, Kanpur
27 years Experience
Advocate Bala Janaki
330 Thambuchetty Street, Chennai
36 years Experience
334 votes

Yes it can be presented and after memo from bank regarding status of said cheque, if it returns without honounr then you may file cheque bounce case or cheating and fraud against him. But you should not disclose about knowledge of account close

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Cheque Bounce Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Related Articles