Swiped my card twice and not refunding for the wrong swipe

i wanted to renew my membership at a gym,these guys have swiped my card twice and are not refunding me the money for the wrong swipe,they are saying one transaction has not gone into their account but my account clearly shows two transactions crediting money into their account,what legal action can i take to get my money back.


This question has been answered by one of our lawyers. See answer below.

Answers (2)

Record Your Transactions : When you’re shopping with a debit card, it can be easy to lose track of transactions. Unlike a credit card, the money from your debit card is tied directly to your checking account. So it’s important to record your debits in a paper ledger or online checking account program.

Check Your Statement : Many people use online banking to check their account status. If you’re reviewing your statement and see that your debit card was charged twice for the same amount and on the same date, you know something is amiss. If you can find your original receipt, hold onto to it as way to document the transaction. Next, call the merchant and ask to speak to the manager. If the transaction was made online, call the customer service number and ask to speak to a supervisor.

Explain The Duplication : When talking with a store representative, explain what happened and ask for the duplicate charge to be reversed. Thanks to today’s technology, many businesses are can pull up sales records on-site and will be able to quickly see the double-charge on their end. In most cases, the transaction should be reversed within three to five business days.

Be Vigilant : Continue monitoring your account. If, after the proper amount of time has gone by, the refund from the duplicate charge is still not showing up in your account, contact a customer service rep at your financial institution. She can investigate the error from their end. She might ask you to visit a branch and complete a disputed charge form.

Challenge Any Fees : Most duplicate debit card charges are quickly corrected with no harm done. Occasionally, however, having a charge deducted from your account twice can cause your account to go into the red, triggering overdraft fees. Should this happen, explain the situation to the bank and ask it to refund the fees. If it won’t, ask the merchant to cover the fees since the overdraft stemmed from its mistake.

Our payment providers reserve the amount for every transaction attempt. However if the transaction fails your Bank will release the funds back to your bank account.Your bank will return your money to you in the incoming days, but how long it take for the funds to be released depends on your bank's policies.

We have seen the following times in different countries:

India: 10-20 business days (up to 1 month), In India if the transaction fails you have to contact your bank and claim the funds to them.We have seen that Indian banks usually take up to 20 business days to release the funds, so the faster you place your claim the sooner you will get your money.

Bear in mind as well that this is not under Sendly's control, funds release policies are up to each bank institution. USA/Europe: 3-8 Business days.

For more accurate information we recommend that you contact your bank directly.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

Dear Sir/Madam,

Based on your information, If it is wrongly swiped,you can get the refund credited to the same account less than 15 days.If it is intentional then merchant has to initiate credit request with his banker. Please keep the receipt / Bill as proof till it get resolved.

If merchant refuse then escalate this with the management.

Popular Banking / Finance Lawyers

Advocate Shikhar Khare
Jangpura Extension, Delhi
6 years Experience
Advocate R.K. Gupta
Goyal Vihar, Indore
19 years Experience
Advocate Sunil Dalal
New Friends Colony, Delhi
22 years Experience
Advocate Pritesh A Burad
Thane (w), Thane
6 years Experience

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at LawRato.com and has been responded by one of the Banking / Finance Lawyers at LawRato.com to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at LawRato.com or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Articles

"LawRato.com has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Similar questions

I would like to know that what should i do.. as i got some money in my account via BHIM app from some unknown persons account. As i have not done anyt…

Read More

I’m personal loan guarantor to someone who has defaulted several emis. The person was my colleague but is now not working with me. I have his ph…

Read More

I had taken education loan from SBI in 2010 and is eligible for the interest subsidy plan by govt. My mortorium period ended in august 2014. But bank …

Read More

Im from Karnataka. I paid my college fees online.receipts were printed 2 days later and went to ask on 1st day.then i went on 3rd day they are saying …

Read More

Talk to a lawyer for your legal issue