Can landlord deny my security money if i don't have copy of agreement?
I have lost my rent agreement and I have no other proof of the security amount of Rs. 90k, paid as security to my landlord. He refuses to give me a copy of the same / renew the rent agreement stating he had given it earlier and is not liable to give it again.
I fear that he might not return my security amount when I decide to leave his apartment. What should I do now?
If the agreement is for a period of more than 11 months then it would be registered. So you can request for a copy form the Sub-registrars office.
Otherwise, you can send a written intimation to the landlord that you have lost the copy of the rent agreement and write all the necessary details of the rent agreement like the security deposit, rent, time period, etc. and request him to provide a copy of the agreement.
If he refuses to provide a copy and later refuses to return the security deposit, then you shall have to register a complaint in the Police Station.
Kindly contact us for any further details and action.
- Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at LawRato.com and has been responded by one of the Landlord/Tenant Lawyers at LawRato.com to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at LawRato.com or book a Detailed Consultation with a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.
Get Started >>
Answers by Our Lawyers
- Irreversible contract. What legal implications if we break contract?
- What are the legal ways to evict tenant?
- Dues remaining and abrupt removal. Where can i file complaint for it?
- Can tehsildaar deny court order for partition of property
- Government servant sold the property w/o informing.