Can landlord deny my security money if i don't have copy of agreement?

I have lost my rent agreement and I have no other proof of the security amount of Rs. 90k, paid as security to my landlord. He refuses to give me a copy of the same / renew the rent agreement stating he had given it earlier and is not liable to give it again.

I fear that he might not return my security amount when I decide to leave his apartment. What should I do now?

If the agreement is for a period of more than 11 months then it would be registered. So you can request for a copy form the Sub-registrars office.

Otherwise, you can send a written intimation to the landlord that you have lost the copy of the rent agreement and write all the necessary details of the rent agreement like the security deposit, rent, time period, etc. and request him to provide a copy of the agreement.

If he refuses to provide a copy and later refuses to return the security deposit, then you shall have to register a complaint in the Police Station.

Popular Landlord/Tenant Lawyers