×

quesWhat if husband is unable to pay maintenance. What punishment for him?

If a wife seeks for monthly maintenance while a divorce case is in continuation and husband is unable to pay the amount ruled out by the court, what is the punishment the husband is entitled to?

If the husband fails to comply with maintenance order the court can pass arrest warrant against husband.

Further court can attach husbands property and can recover the amount from husband property

• ansOne can file execution proceedings and still on failure, by issuing non bailable warrant keep the husband in civil prison also can attach his property and recover the said amount.further one can also initiate the criminal prosecution against the said failure.

Advocate Sagar Kothari

District Court Shivajinagar, Pune

• ansHello,
    1) For non payment of maintenance ordered by the court the husband can be sent to jail until her is able to pay up.

2) It is advisable to pay up and move a petition to contest the amount ordered by the court requesting it to be reduced.

Advocate S J Mathew

Thane, Mumbai

• See the video below to know more about this Divorce legal issue