quesWhat are my rights after being in a live in relationship for 8 years?

What are my legal rights if I was in a live-in relationship for 8 and a half years and now my partner is getting married to another girl.

What all cases can I file against my partner? Can I get his marriage cancelled anyhow?

He is a sikh and I am a Hindu.

  • ans

    Under provisions of domestic violence act you are entitled to seek maintenance from your live in partner. 

    You are also entitled to seek alternative accommodation from him. 

    Since no marriage has been solemnized with you your partner is free to marry any girl he so desires.

    Sikhs are regarded as Hindus and governed by provisions of Hindu Marriage act. 

    Marriage of your partner cannot be dissolved.

    If you had relationship with your partner under promise of marriage you can file police complaint against him for cheating.


  • File Mutual Consent Divorce @ Rs. 25,000/- only

    Know More
  • Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at LawRato.com and has been responded by one of the Divorce Lawyers at LawRato.com to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at LawRato.com or book a Detailed Consultation with a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.
  • Related Articles

Consult best Divorce lawyers in India

Similar questions

Both parties agree upon mutual settlement of divorce within 20 days. Of marraige. But now…

In 2008 I got married secretly in Delhi – in one of the 5 temples…

Can one of the parties withdraw consent after first motion before second motion. Read that…

Sir, My wife left my house on 24th January 2016. She said that she is…

Divorce Lawyers in India

Advocate Arjun Vinod Bobde

  Supreme Court of India
 Experience: 16 years

Advocate Prashant Mendiratta

  Lajpat Nagar 4
 Experience: 24 years

Advocate Prabhjit Jauhar

  Connaught Place
 Experience: 20 years

Advocate Dr.Gubbi S Subba Rao

  K G Road
 Experience: 31 years

View all >>

How it Works

Know how LawRato makes legal advice easier and effortless

Ask a Free Question

Post a question and get free advice from multiple lawyers

Talk to a Lawyer

Easily find and book private consults with top lawyers in India

Get Fee Estimate

Receive multiple quotations for your legal requirement instantly