quesIs it necessary for both partners to be present in court for divorce?

Can one seek a Divorce without the 2nd partner's presence in court proceedings?

  • ans


    This would depend upon the kind of divorce petition which is pending in the court. If it is a divorce petition filed under the various grounds provided under the Hindu MArriage Act, and if the other party, against whom the divorce is sought, does not / fails to appear before the Court, upon reciept of summons of court, the Court can proceed the said party as ex-partee and proceed with the matter.


    However, if the petition is filed for divorce by mutual consent, then the presence of both the parties is required, unless, either of the party is unable to appear before the court and has accorded a Power of Attorney to somebody to appear and depose on their behalf before the court.


  • File Mutual Consent Divorce @ Rs. 25,000/- only

    Know More
  • Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at LawRato.com and has been responded by one of the Divorce Lawyers at LawRato.com to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at LawRato.com or book a Detailed Consultation with a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.
  • Related Articles

Consult best Divorce lawyers in India

Similar questions

I was married to a girl in 2013.We don't have any children. Her character is…
My friend who is a lady lives separately from her husband since 8 yrs. He…
Hindu. I want separation from my husband. But i want property where i also invested.…
How to handover stridhan to girl is it safe to give her and take her…

Divorce Lawyers in India

Advocate Arjun Vinod Bobde

  Supreme Court of India
 Experience: 16 years

Advocate Prashant Mendiratta

  Lajpat Nagar 4
 Experience: 24 years

Advocate Prabhjit Jauhar

  Connaught Place
 Experience: 20 years

Advocate Dr.Gubbi S Subba Rao

  K G Road
 Experience: 31 years

View all >>

How it Works

Know how LawRato makes legal advice easier and effortless

Ask a Free Question

Post a question and get free advice from multiple lawyers

Talk to a Lawyer

Easily find and book private consults with top lawyers in India

Get Fee Estimate

Receive multiple quotations for your legal requirement instantly