quesis divorce required for NRI if marriage not registered

I got married in India 7 years ago. Due to shortage of time, unknowingly my marriage was not registered. So, I don't have a marriage certificate. We are Australian Citizens now and according to Australian Law, because we dont have our marriage registered neither in India nor in Australia, we would not be considered as a married couple so we cant apply for a Divorce if we want to get separated. To avoid future complications both in India and Australia, is it mandatory to take a Divorce? Can we marry other people in future? Where would our case stand according to Indian Law?

  • ansEven if your marriage is not registered you can apply for divorce in india at place wherein your marriage was solemnised or where you are staying after marriage, i.e. your matrimonial home. You can rely upon your marriage invitation card, wedding photographs for divorce in india and get a formal divorce decree for all future purposes.

  • File Mutual Consent Divorce @ Rs. 25,000/- only

    Know More
  • Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at LawRato.com and has been responded by one of the Divorce Lawyers at LawRato.com to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at LawRato.com or book a Detailed Consultation with a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.
  • Related Articles

Consult best Divorce lawyers in India

Similar questions

Is marriage certificate important for divorce. Can It be done without certificate. If yes. How…
My wife is cheating with me. How do I proceed with the divorce? Her family…

My sister got married in june 2014. Within 15 days of marriage we got to…

I like to ask mine wife has file the case for maintenance she tooked away…

Divorce Lawyers in India

Advocate Arjun Vinod Bobde

  Supreme Court of India
 Experience: 16 years

Advocate Prashant Mendiratta

  Lajpat Nagar 4
 Experience: 24 years

Advocate Prabhjit Jauhar

  Connaught Place
 Experience: 20 years

Advocate Dr.Gubbi S Subba Rao

  K G Road
 Experience: 31 years

View all >>

How it Works

Know how LawRato makes legal advice easier and effortless

Ask a Free Question

Post a question and get free advice from multiple lawyers

Talk to a Lawyer

Easily find and book private consults with top lawyers in India

Get Fee Estimate

Receive multiple quotations for your legal requirement instantly