quesHusband left me alone for job.In laws don't treat well. What can i do?

My husband abandoned me for 2 years and returned back only to leave me alone again. I am from Delhi and married 5 years ago. My husband works as a polish language instructor. Before marriage me and my family were told that my husband is studying in poland and will visit home for 3-4 month until his study complete.They told us that it will take 1 year to complete the study, but after 1 year he told me that he will go there to establish some business and did not return for two years.


He again came back after two years and stayed in india for few months and left for Banglore saying he has got some job. He asked me to go to my parents.


His parents do not behave properly with me. What should I do?


  • ans


    In your situation, you have 2 possible situations and it all depends on what you want.


    1. Filing a petition for restitution of conjugal rights under Section 9 of the Hindu Marriage Act. Section 9 has been reproduced below for better understanding: 


    Restitution of conjugal rights.- When either the husband or the wife has, without reasonable excuse, withdrawn from the society of the other, the aggrieved party may apply, by petition to the district court, for restitution of conjugal rights and the court, on being satisfied of the truth of the statements made in such petition and that there is no legal ground why the application should not be granted, may decree restitution of conjugal rights accordingly.


    Explanation- Where a question arises whether there has been reasonable excuse for withdrawal from the society, the burden of proving reasonable excuse shall be on the person who has withdrawn from the society. 


    So in case, you want to stay with your husband, you can file a petition under Section 9.


    2. Going for a divorce: Now if you don't want to stay with your husband, you can file a petition for dissolution of marriage under Section 13(1)(ia) of the Hindu Marriage Act under the grounds of cruelty. As the treatment meted out to you by your husband and your in-laws amount to mental cruelty and therefore you can seek a divorce on this ground.


    You can also you to register a complaint for cruelty under Section 498A of the Indian Penal Code or for domestic Violence under the Protection of Women from Domestic Violence Act or both. Your husband is bound to give you maintenance and residence as per his standard of living and the lifestyle you are used to post your marriage.


  • File Mutual Consent Divorce @ Rs. 25,000/- only

    Know More
  • Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at LawRato.com and has been responded by one of the Divorce Lawyers at LawRato.com to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at LawRato.com or book a Detailed Consultation with a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.
  • Related Articles

Consult best Divorce lawyers in India

Similar questions

We are Muslim. we got married in May2016. she lives in bangalore and is working…
I am a srilankan can I ask how to get divorce with foreign woman? She…
I want to take divorce with my husband as he harrassing mentally,I want two daughters's…
Hello Lawyers, One of my friend's husband got married to another lady after lot of…

Divorce Lawyers in India

Advocate Arjun Vinod Bobde

  Supreme Court of India
 Experience: 16 years

Advocate Prashant Mendiratta

  Lajpat Nagar 4
 Experience: 24 years

Advocate Prabhjit Jauhar

  Connaught Place
 Experience: 20 years

Advocate Dr.Gubbi S Subba Rao

  K G Road
 Experience: 31 years

View all >>

How it Works

Know how LawRato makes legal advice easier and effortless

Ask a Free Question

Post a question and get free advice from multiple lawyers

Talk to a Lawyer

Easily find and book private consults with top lawyers in India

Get Fee Estimate

Receive multiple quotations for your legal requirement instantly