divorce in a foreign country
Hi, My marriage was solemnised with the UK citizen in india in the year 2007. I had got the marriage registered here. However after 2 years of separation, my ex husband had filed for a divorce in the UK on the grounds"the marriage had irretrievably broken down, the facts found proved being the respondent(myself) unreasonable behaviour". I was sent the notice of the proceedings through emails by the Nottingham county court. It stated in it that the court had jurisdiction to hear the case under" Article 3(1) of the Council Regulation(EC) No 2201/2003 of 27 November 2003". I haven't participated in any of the proceedings as I didn't had the visa to visit the UK. However, I had accepted these grounds of divorce and had signed , scanned the papers and emailed back to them I had not engaged any lawyer in india to contest my case as I had no issues to accept the divorce myself. I had finally received an original copy of final decree from the Nottingham court stamped but not signed with the divorce date august 2012. I haven't done anything to register this case or decree in indian court. Please advise.
You should have appointed a lawyer in UK at least to keep you in the loop with what was happening in your case. If the copy of divorce decree does not bear the signature of the judge then it is not a certified copy. You may now request your ex husband to send you a certified copy of the judgment, or in the alternative engage a UK lawyer to procure for you a copy of the same.
now you can request your ex husband to furnish you a certified copy of a decree for your record and that now your marriage stands dissolved and you get the liberty to re-marry again.
File Mutual Consent Divorce @ Rs. 25,000/- only
- Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at LawRato.com and has been responded by one of the Divorce Lawyers at LawRato.com to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at LawRato.com or book a Detailed Consultation with a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.
Get Started >>
Answers by Our Lawyers
- How can i get Ex parte Annulment final judgement
- How to file complaint against Snapdeal for fraud and mental harassment
- Procedure to change name of minor boy
- Daughter's right in father's self acquired property
- Employer not paying due salary afetr resignation how to claim