Brother staying with wife in africa. Can he file for divorce in Africa
My brother was married in India. He was staying in Africa with his wife for 15 years. Can he file for divorce in Africa or India? What is quickest to get divorce?
Thank you for your query
As you have said that marriage took place in india and the parties have been living for 15 years in Africa
Now filing of divorce in india will be the proper course of action
However course of action can be suggested on going through the papers and more inputs are required as well
Advocate Amitesh Singh BakshiDelhi High Court, Delhi
Your brother can file divorce in courts of Africa. However, if the divorce is not through mutual consent, then the divorce decree granted shall have to stand scrutiny of Indian Courts. Say, if your brother files divorce on grounds of cruelty and his wife submits to the Jurisdiction of such African court, and he obtains the decree, then that decree for divorce would be final and need not pass test in Indian Courts. However, if the wife does not contests and decree is passed in that case such decree shall have to pass the test of Indian laws in Indian Courts, if challenged by Wife. In such case, the Indian Courts would test as to whether the African Court followed the procedure prescribed in Hindu Marriage Act or not. I am sure, African Courts would rule by their own law and may miss out on some essential provision of Indian law, which may render in nullifying of such decree in India.
Therefore, it is advised that if the divorce is contested then please file it in India.
I don't have expertise of African laws so wouldn't be able to comment on the same.
Advocate Kunal SabharawalPanchsheel Enclave, Delhi
As per the law prevailing in India, the parties can file divorce within the jurisdiction of the court they are residing as on date, where their matrimonial home is situated or paternal house is located. One needs to check the laws in Africa i.e., the laws for the time being in force.
Advocate Jiwan Pal SinghTis Hazari Court, Delhi
File Mutual Consent Divorce @ Rs. 25,000/- only
- Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at LawRato.com and has been responded by one of the Divorce Lawyers at LawRato.com to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at LawRato.com or book a Detailed Consultation with a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.
Get Started >>
Answers by Our Lawyers
- Can writ of 226 & 227 be filed at HC that has territorial jurisdiction
- How to get my two vehicles released from pso?
- Can i file a case if someone has hacked my whatsapp?
- Property theft now recovered by police how to get it back
- company threatening to pay them back if I resign from the company