Lost money in betting. Threatening us to recover money. What to do?
My brother used to do betting in matches. He lost around 1.5 lacs in that. After that the person who owed him the money came to him threatening him for recovery. We reached a settlement of 70 thousand and gave that money to him in 2014 and he said we need not pay more after this. Now he is again threatening us and asking for the remaining money with interest. What can we do about these threats and what ever he is doing is not legal. What should we do?
How did you arrive at settlement?Did you execute any settlement agreement wherein the amount of Rs.70,000/- was mentioned.
In case yes, then you can enforce the agreement and file a police complaint for harassment. However if no agreement was executed then it is difficult to prove that the parties arrived at settlement of Rs. 70,000/-
We suggest you to properly enter in settlement agreement wherein you should clearly define the terms of settlement, and further pay the amount in cheque or DD so that same stands as a prove for you.
If you have any prove that you paid Rs.70,000/- then please file a police complaint at your nearest police station
- Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at LawRato.com and has been responded by one of the Criminal Lawyers at LawRato.com to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at LawRato.com or book a Detailed Consultation with a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.
Get Started >>
Answers by Our Lawyers
- Girl blackmailing me to marry her how can I protect myself
- Different documentations in differen countries for NRIs
- how can i stop construction by neighbour in common area of building
- Neighbors spreading false rumors about me and family. What can i do?
- Rights of daughters in father's property