quesLost money in betting. Threatening us to recover money. What to do?

My brother used to do betting in matches. He lost around 1.5 lacs in that. After that the person who owed him the money came to him threatening him for recovery. We reached a settlement of 70 thousand and gave that money to him in 2014 and he said we need not pay more after this. Now he is again threatening us and asking for the remaining money with interest. What can we do about these threats and what ever he is doing is not legal. What should we do?

  • ans

    How did you arrive at settlement?Did you execute any settlement agreement wherein the amount of Rs.70,000/- was mentioned.

    In case yes, then you can enforce the agreement and file a police complaint for harassment. However if no agreement was executed then it is difficult to prove that the parties arrived at settlement of Rs. 70,000/-

    We suggest you to properly enter in settlement agreement wherein you should clearly define the terms of settlement, and further pay the amount in cheque or DD so that same stands as a prove for you.

    If you have any prove that you paid Rs.70,000/- then please file a police complaint at your nearest police station

  • Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at LawRato.com and has been responded by one of the Criminal Lawyers at LawRato.com to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at LawRato.com or book a Detailed Consultation with a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.
Consult best Criminal lawyers in India

Similar questions

Hi I'm a 25 years old boy. I'm in a relationship with a girl for…
Sir, The petitioner has been booked under IPC sections 354A,354A,i,ii,354B,354C,354D,i,420,387,504,506.The petitioner filed for Regular Bail…

I was in love with a girl from last 6 year but during this period…

In a case the complanent not appear for evidence.Court issued NBW against him. What i…

Criminal Lawyers in India

Advocate Arjun Vinod Bobde

  Supreme Court of India
 Experience: 16 years

Advocate Prashant Mendiratta

  Lajpat Nagar 4
 Experience: 24 years

Advocate Jaspreet Singh Rai

  Greater Kailash 1
 Experience: 14 years

Advocate Rajesh K.S

  Rajaji Nagar
 Experience: 11 years

View all >>

How it Works

Know how LawRato makes legal advice easier and effortless

Ask a Free Question

Post a question and get free advice from multiple lawyers

Talk to a Lawyer

Easily find and book private consults with top lawyers in India

Get Fee Estimate

Receive multiple quotations for your legal requirement instantly