What are the rights of son in fathers property

My husband's father died 20 years ago and there was a dispute in the property. With the share of the money, my husband then unmarried bought a flat in my mother-in -law's name. My sister-in law came back to stay in the same house after she got divorced. It has been 15 years now that we are staying in the same flat with me, my husband, two kids, my mother-in- law and divorced sister - in -law. Every now and then, both my mother-in- law and sister- in - law threaten me to leave the house and go. Please help me know what are the rights of my husband in this property.

Answers (4)

114 votes

Hello client
As per the query I have made your husband has full rights in the property as well as the right of Ur mother in law and sister in law is very limited but the overall thing have to be get clear that what Ur mother in law and sister in law want.
So we have to.move to court.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

262 votes

Dear Client,

As the flat is registered in the name of your mother-in-law, hence she can move to the court for eviction and obtain an order directing son and daughter in law to vacate her house, and also your husband can't claim his share in the flat till your mother-in-law is alive, and after her death it depends on available legal documents i.e. will, nominee registration etc.

File a case for domestic violence against her and also initiate criminal proceedings for threatening you and your husband. It is only a possible way to stop her from harassing you.

Pankaj Agarwal
Advocate - Delhi High Court

Popular Property Lawyers

Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
34 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
20 years Experience
Advocate Rajeev Nigam
Kanpur Nagar, Kanpur
27 years Experience
Advocate Rajesh Rai
Sector-19, Dwarka, Delhi
21 years Experience
263 votes

If this property in question had been purchased by your husband with his own income then no one has a legal right in this property except your husband only. This kind of property is known as self acquired property so as per law only your husband is having a full legal right over this property.

248 votes

since it was a disputed property and when your husband bought the flat the property was not settled so there is always a right of yours in that property aftr your husband's preferential right..
you can call me or come to my chmber for futher assistance..

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at LawRato.com and has been responded by one of the Property Lawyers at LawRato.com to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at LawRato.com or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

"LawRato.com has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Related Articles