×

quesUpdating the property card.

My grandfather was the holder of a 999 year lease of a land plot in matunga area where he built a house for himself in 1950s. Now there is a cooperative housing society building on that plot but the leasehold continues to be in his name though he passed away in 1985. Our parents have also passed away. Can the surviving legal heirs (grand children) get their names entered in the property card now. What are the steps to be taken and can it be done under the proper legal framework/ BMC rules?

• ansIf the plot was in your grand father's name, how could there be a co-op building, unless your grand father had given sub-lease of the plot to the co-op society? Please have searches made in the local registry regarding leasehold ownership of the plot.

In case, your grandfather's name is recorded in the land records, you can certainly apply to BMC for mutating your name submitting the death records of your grandfather and your father.

• Apply For Legal Heir/Succession Certificate With Expert Lawyers

Click here to see all Property Legal Services