Right to claim share in deceased mother's property

30-Mar-2023 (In Property Law)
Dear Sir, My father has claimed over a self acquired property of my deceased mother and has refused to transfer ownership to me(his only son). Please let me know my legal rights with respect to my mother's property in this case as my father has remarried after my mother's death.
Answers (2)

Answer #1
845 votes
Upon the death of your mother, if she has not left any will, her estate shall devolve upon her children first as her Class I legal heirs. Your father being a Class II legal heir, he has no right over your mother's estate. File a suit at the district court.
Helpful? LawRato LawRato
Answer #2
516 votes
Your father is not the only heir of your deceased mother. Therefore there is no question of taking over the entire property by your father. You have equal rights in the property of your deceased mother and you can lodge a criminal case as well as a civil case to get your 50% of your share.
Helpful? LawRato LawRato

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Divorce Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details.

Report abuse?

Comments by Users

No Comments! Be the first one to comment.

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."