quesProperty taken forcibly. How to regain possession of property?

My father's property has been acquired forcefully and illegally by someone. My father and his brother got into an agreement to sell their share of ancestral property in Punjab by accepting a token money (bayana) 5 years ago wherein my father did not make further payment as he found the rate of the deal lower than the market rate.


The party still went ahead and has taken forceful possession of my father's property as well.


How do we get back our property and what are the implications of not fulfilling the terms laid out in the agreement to sell?


  • ans


    In light of the limited facts provided by you we are assuming that all the ingredients of a legal contract are present which makes it a valid contract.


    Refusing to accept the consideration and repudiating the contract on the grounds that the rate of the deal is lower than the market rate is not recognized as a valid ground for termination of contract under the Indian Laws. Hence, to be honest you are liable for breach of contract and when your father refused to accept the consideration for the property, the proper recourse for the other party was to file a case for specific performance of contract which we are again assuming they did not.


    No one can take forceful possession of anyone’s property and the same amounts to criminal Trespass under the Indian Penal Code. Thus the recourse available to you is to file a case for Criminal Trespass against the other party with respect to getting the possession of the house back.


    And as a time period of 5 years has elapsed since the date of contract, it needs to be examined based on all the facts, if the contract can be terminated / repudiated under any of the grounds for termination of contract recognized under the Indian Contract Act.


    We will be able to provide you with a comprehensive opinion once we review the detailed terms and conditions agreed upon by both the parties in the Agreement to Sell document.


  • Send a legal notice to builder for delay in construction @ Rs. 1999/- only

    Know More
  • Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at LawRato.com and has been responded by one of the Property Lawyers at LawRato.com to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at LawRato.com or book a Detailed Consultation with a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.
  • Related Articles

Consult best Property lawyers in India

Similar questions

I m son of my fathers first wife but he left my mom and me…
Whether a brother will get share in property if the property is registered in the…
Respected Sir/Mam I have seen property registered documents where that shows as if mother devided…
My father bought a land in 1970 from his brother's widow in Rs 8000. My…

Property Lawyers in India

Advocate Arjun Vinod Bobde

  Supreme Court of India
 Experience: 16 years

Advocate Prashant Mendiratta

  Lajpat Nagar 4
 Experience: 24 years

Advocate Prabhjit Jauhar

  Connaught Place
 Experience: 20 years

Advocate Mohammed Abdul Quadeer

  Shree Ram Nagar
 Experience: 11 years

View all >>

Quick Consult

Get 15 Minutes of Expert Legal Advice on Phone right now

Ask a Free Question

Post a Question online and get free advice from multiple lawyers by email

Find a Lawyer

Easily find and book private consults with top lawyers in India

Get Fee Estimate

Receive multiple quotations for your legal requirement instantly