property ownership- transferring

I purchased a property in 2000 but the sale deed was registered in 2014. I then sold the property in 2014 itself. Am I liable for STCGT or LTCGT, since technically AND legally, I became the owner of the property only in 2013, when the sale deed was registered.

Answers (1)

430 votes
Long term capital gains tax on a property @ 20% is applicable in the event that the property is held for three years.
Your query is silent as to whether you took the possession of the house prior to the sale deed being registered in 2014.

And if you took the possession of the house at the time of purchase then sale would attract long term capital gains tax.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

Popular Property Lawyers

Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
34 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
20 years Experience
Advocate Rajesh Rai
Sector-19, Dwarka, Delhi
21 years Experience
Advocate Rajeev Nigam
Kanpur Nagar, Kanpur
27 years Experience

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Property Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Related Articles