Property divided. Can one sell his share w/o consent of other person?

My grandfather had 4 children, his Will said that his property has to be divided among his children in proportion of 15, 15, 35 ,35% among four children. 3 of the children now want to sell off the house, where as one child does not want to.

That child has only 15% share. Can the rest three children sell of the house without the consent or signature of the 4th child who does not want to sell the house?

Answers (1)

139 votes

No, the property cannot be sold without consent of successors. In case of major and in case of minority, you might have to take permission from the court. 

If the property is disposed off without consent it can be reclaimed. Whenever a sale deed is executed, it will require the signature/consent of the forth child also.

The 3 co-owners who want to sell their share can file for a partition suit to get their respective shared in the property. We can advise further once we have more details about the property in question.

Kindly contact us for any further details and action.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

Popular Property Lawyers

Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
34 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
20 years Experience
Advocate Rajeev Nigam
Kanpur Nagar, Kanpur
27 years Experience
Advocate Rajesh Rai
Sector-19, Dwarka, Delhi
21 years Experience

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Property Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Related Articles