Is sale agreement valid if court passed stay order for that property?

In Property Law

When an interim order passed by a court dealing with property matter is that both the parties will maintain status quo with regards to the title and its possession of the property, if one of the party who was to obey the above order enters into an agreement with the third party regarding the sale of the same property; has the party committed contempt of court?

Also, what is the value of that agreement in presence of the court's stay order?

Answers (1)

69 votes

Yes, if there was an interim order of stay in operation, and one of the parties violates the same during it's operation, then the same would amount to contempt of court and the aggrieved party can file a contempt petition under Section 12 of the Contempt of Court Act.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.


Popular Property Lawyers

Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
35 years Experience
Advocate Rajesh Rai
Sector-19, Dwarka, Delhi
22 years Experience
Advocate Rajeev Nigam
Kanpur Nagar, Kanpur
28 years Experience
Advocate H Gouri Shankar
Banjara Hills, Hyderabad
26 years Experience

Report abuse?

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Property Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Related Articles