Does a daughter have any share in her mother's family property?

My wife has two siblings’ one brother and one sister. My wife’s mother got hereditary property from her father as she is the only daughter to them. My wife has not taken any property from her mother and allowed her brother to own the complete hereditary property of her mother.


Now, we have one daughter, will my daughter have a right to get this property?




A pre-requisite condition required for a property to be an Ancestral property is that it should be owned by the great grand father followed by the grand father, father & present generation, all in this linear generation living & enjoying the property.


The property should not have ever partitioned & shared or distributed to any of the Hindu Coparceners, as in any linear generation as mentioned above, in other words, it should be intact single property which is being used jointly by all members of the Hindu Joint family. Therefore, all property inherited by a male Hindu from his father, father's father, or father's father's father, is ancestral property.


The essential feature of inheritance of ancestral property according to the Mitakshara law under the Hindu Succession Act is that the man inherits from any of his three immediate paternal ancestors, namely, his father, father's father and father's father's father, is ancestral property as regards his male issue, and his son acquires jointly with him, an interest in it by birth. Their rights attach to it at the moment of their birth. However, with the amendment in 2005 in the Hindu Succession Act the daughters are entitled to equal inheritance rights along with other male siblings, which was not available to them prior to the Hindu Succession Act .


“The new Section 6 provides for parity of rights in the coparcenary property among the male and the female members of a joint Hindu family on and from September 9, 2005.


“According to the new Section 6, the daughter of a coparcener becomes a coparcener by birth in her own rights and liabilities in the same manner as the son. The declaration in Section 6, the daughter of the coparcener shall have the same rights and liabilities in the coparcenary property as she would have been a son is unambiguous and unequivocal,” which has been pronounced by various judgement.


Therefore, if your property falls within such ambit then your wife, her mother and their other siblings are equally entitled for the share in your father’s property.


Further, please clarify, whether your wife's father left his Will? If there is no Will then your daughter can file a suit for partition thereby demanding her mother's share in the property. In case there is a Will then you can challenge the Will and thereby demanding your wife's share in the property. 


Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

Popular Property Lawyers

Advocate Rajesh Rai
Sector-19, Dwarka, Delhi
19 years Experience
Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
32 years Experience
Advocate Saifuddin Saifee
Maharani Road, Indore
18 years Experience
Advocate Jai Shiv Darshan Giri
Santoshi Nagar, Ring Road Chowk, Raipur
14 years Experience

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Property Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Articles

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Legal Services

Property Registration

4.7 | 291 ratings
Get your property registered through an experienced local advocate
Title Opinion Report

4.8 | 193 ratings
Get a detailed Title Opinion Report by expert real estate lawyers in your city
Draft an Agreement to Sell

4.9 | 94 ratings
30 Min Intro call + Start to finish help - Agreement to sell drafted by a local experienced advocate
Property Verification / Due Diligence

4.8 | 421 ratings
Property Verification, Title Search and due diligence conducted by a local experienced advocate
Legal Notice for Delay in Construction

4.4 | 24 ratings
30 Min Intro call + Start to finish help
15 Minutes Property Advice Session by Phone

4.8 | 541 ratings
Ask questions and get advice from a local experienced advocate on your Property Matter
Document Review - Agreement to Sell

4.7 | 108 ratings
Review + 30 Min phone call - Agreement to Sell review by a local experienced advocate
Draft a Sale Deed / Property Purchase Agreement

4.6 | 197 ratings
30 Min Intro call + Start to finish help - Sale Deed / Property Purchase Agreement drafted by a local experienced advocate
Document Review - Gift Deed

4.3 | 37 ratings
Review + 30 Min phone call - Gift Deed review by a local experienced advocate
Draft a Gift Deed

4.6 | 182 ratings
30 Min Intro call + Start to finish help - Gift Deed drafted by a local experienced advocate
Document Review - Sale Deed

4.8 | 73 ratings
Review + 30 Min phone call - Sale Deed review by a local experienced advocate
Legal Heir / Succession Certificate

4.8 | 71 ratings
Apply for a Legal Heir / Succession Certificate through a local experienced advocate
Similar questions

Hi, I have a 2bhk flat in joint name with my wife. I want to sell the house and not continue with the high EMI anymore. I have made all payments of th…

Read More

I m sunni Muslim married for 9years.husband stay wth his 1st family In X.he hd purchased flat in B.I m 2nd owner of the flat.He doesn't give me ma…

Read More

I am a widow can I claim my father in laws property father inlaw not alive (can I get remarried and claim the father in laws property of first husband…

Read More

What is the right of a daughter-in-law on her father-in-law’s property if her husband has died and the property in question has been her matrimo…

Read More

Talk to a lawyer for your legal issue