Clarification on transferring demised father's property in son's name

One of our property disputed with builder which is my father name. My father was died long time ago and same property transfer to my mother name. We have four brothers and sisters. Mother want transfer this property to me. My all sister agree except my elder brother. Who already got my father job and my uncle gave us some money to buy property for family but my elder bought property on his name. And now he seeking share from this property. Need your help for how to get in my name this property which is already disputed with builder.

Answers (1)

Hi. It appears from your query that the property originally stood in your late father's name. After his demise the property will devolve by inheritance on the widow and children. Under the personal law to which you are subject, the distribution of the property among the legal heirs will be as per the shares allotted to each class of heirs under the relevant personal law. You have not informed which personal law you are subject to I e Hindu or Muslim law. Nevertheless upon the demise of your father, his legal heirs automatically become the co-owner and of the property having respective share in the property as per personal law. It's not clear how and when the property was transferred to the name of your mother. If that transfer happened during the lifetime of your father, then your mother becomes the absolute owner of the property and can deal with the same in any manner she deems fit. No permission or consent whatsoever will be required to be taken from any person for transferring the property from the name of your mother to your name. If however the transfer to your mother's happened after the demise of your father, then such transfer is of no effect in absence of consent and no objection from the other legal heirs of your father. In that case your mother cannot be said to be the absolute owner of the property but a co-owner having a specific share as per the personal law. So if you want the property to be transferred to your sole name, your siblings and mother will have to execute release deed in your favour thereby releasing and giving up their respective shares in the property to your name. Will need more clarification from you and also will require to see the documents for any further advice.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

Popular Property Lawyers

Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
32 years Experience
Advocate Prabhjit Jauhar
Connaught Place, Delhi
22 years Experience
Advocate R.K. Gupta
Goyal Vihar, Indore
19 years Experience
Advocate Sunil Dalal
New Friends Colony, Delhi
22 years Experience

Related Articles

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Property Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or book a Detailed Consultation with a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Legal Services

Draft an Agreement to Sell

4.9 | 94 ratings
30 Min Intro call + Start to finish help - Agreement to sell drafted by a local experienced advocate
Property Verification / Due Diligence

4.8 | 421 ratings
Property Verification, Title Search and due diligence conducted by a local experienced advocate
Legal Notice for Delay in Construction

4.4 | 24 ratings
30 Min Intro call + Start to finish help
15 Minutes Property Advice Session by Phone

4.8 | 541 ratings
Ask questions and get advice from a local experienced advocate on your Property Matter
Document Review - Agreement to Sell

4.7 | 108 ratings
Review + 30 Min phone call - Agreement to Sell review by a local experienced advocate
Draft a Sale Deed / Property Purchase Agreement

4.6 | 197 ratings
30 Min Intro call + Start to finish help - Sale Deed / Property Purchase Agreement drafted by a local experienced advocate
Document Review - Gift Deed

4.3 | 37 ratings
Review + 30 Min phone call - Gift Deed review by a local experienced advocate
Draft a Gift Deed

4.6 | 182 ratings
30 Min Intro call + Start to finish help - Gift Deed drafted by a local experienced advocate
Document Review - Sale Deed

4.8 | 73 ratings
Review + 30 Min phone call - Sale Deed review by a local experienced advocate
Property Registration

4.7 | 291 ratings
Get your property registered through an experienced local advocate
Title Opinion Report

4.8 | 193 ratings
Get a detailed Title Opinion Report by expert real estate lawyers in your city
Legal Heir / Succession Certificate

4.8 | 71 ratings
Apply for a Legal Heir / Succession Certificate through a local experienced advocate
Similar questions

Sir/Madam, I am having dispute with Housing Society where I am living.Six months before the society has circulated the minutes of meeting that water c…

Read More

Hello, I am Hindu. My grandfather have passed away and my father in lone son of my grandparents along with 3 sisters of him. My grandfather had proper…

Read More

I have a 2BHK flat in North 24 Pgs. purchased during 2011 and registered during 2015 . We had multiple issues with the promoter from time to time howe…

Read More

I have house built in my place in 2300 square foot (1200 construct + 1100 free space)which is near about 40 years old and now I want to build it again…

Read More

Talk to a lawyer for your legal issue