Can daughter claim right on father's property

Hi i want to know the complete daughter's right on fathers property.

Answers (1)

222 votes

I am assuming the Querist to be a Hindu and therefore I am confining my opinion to a daughter's rights under Hindu Succession Law (which applies equally to a person who is Buddhist, or Jain or Sikh by religion). Under the Hindu Succession Act, 1956 (as amended) a daughter and son have an equal share in their father's property. A daughter is a Class I legal heir and inherits her father’s self-acquired property simultaneously with other Class I heirs. Similarly, a daughter is also recognized as a ‘coparcener’ and has the same rights in coparcenery property (also known as Joint Hindu Family property) as if she would have been a son, provided she was born either prior or after June 17, 1956 and was alive on September 09, 2005.

Both in the case of a father’s self acquired property and the coparcenary property the daughter has right to claim partition of her share. She may also dipose of her share by testamentary disposition i.e by creating a will.

A daughter can only be debarred from inheriting her father’s self-acquired property if he has excluded her from inheriting any of his properties in his will and last testament.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

Popular Property Lawyers

Advocate Rajesh Rai
Sector-19, Dwarka, Delhi
20 years Experience
Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
33 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
19 years Experience
Advocate Jaspreet Singh Rai
Greater Kailash 1, Delhi
17 years Experience

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Property Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Related Articles