Ancestral property as gift deed, out of court setlement

My Grandmother received the ancestral house as gift from my grand father. She in turn gifted it to my father in 1978. My father has 3 brothers. Everyone was given equal share of property but the ancestral house was gifted to my father. My uncles filed a suit against my father in 1999. The suit is still dragging on.

My first question is, was the case rightly entertained by the court (keeping in mind the limitation period)? My dad is getting old now and he is tired of this mess, is there any kind of out of court settlement that we can do, or that would go against us if the plaintiff(s) refuse the proposal to do the same?

Answers (1)

480 votes
If the property was ancestral then how could your grand father have made a gift thereof to your grand mother? Was a deed of settlement made and signed, prior to the gift made by your grand father, by the brothers of your father whereby and where under they relinquished their rights in the property?

If yes, then was such a deed registered? If no deed was made then your father's brothers are entitled to claim a share in this property. Unless and until we peruse the case and all the related documents we cannot tell as to whether the case has rightly been entertained by the court.

Your lawyer must be in a better position to answer this question as he has had the privilege of looking at all the documents. You can always opt for an out of court settlement by following the policy of give and take.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

Popular Property Lawyers

Advocate Rajesh Rai
Sector-19, Dwarka, Delhi
21 years Experience
Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
34 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
20 years Experience
Advocate Jaspreet Singh Rai
Greater Kailash 1, Delhi
18 years Experience

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Property Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Related Articles