quesIn an accident pedestrian Injured. He asking lot of money. What to do?

I was riding my vehicle ( 2 wheeler) and suddenly one person( his age is 73) jumped in between the road and i happened to hit him .I took him to the nearby hospital and FIR was filed the very day . Unfortunately i didnt have insurance for my vehicle . The expenses the victim had is 10 lakhs and he is expecting cash from me, kindly advice if should i go for the case and what will be the consequences i will have to face and also advice if there is any other way to solve the issue.

  • ans

    A motor accident has two facets, one is the commission of criminal offence and the other is compensation claim. The person responsible for causing the accident by negligent driving is liable to be booked for criminal offence,

    Further liable to pay compensation to the victim.

    In your case since the FIR is filed, the matter will go in the court and the State has to prove that the accident took place with your scooter and you were driving the same rashly and negligently. In such cases the statements of the eye witnesses (if any) to the accident is required to be produced during the trial. It is also to be proved that
    the pedestrian was not at any fault. To claim compensation you have to file a separate petition under Motor Vehicle Act in the Motor Accident Claim Tribunal.

    As mentioned above , if a criminal case, and State is able to proove that you were driving rashly, then according to the offence prooved you will be punished and you will have to pay compensation to victim. However going through your facts, we suggest that you should defend you case and submit that it was the fault of pedestrian then court can
    also impose penalty on him

  • ansSince an FIR has already been registered against u, you need to face trial. So far as the payment of expenses is concerned, the same can be taken into account after due deliberation with the injured and considering the injuries suffered by the victim. During the trial, you wil get a chance to prove that the accident took place bcos of the mistake of the old person. But since the vehicle was not insured, the liability to pay rests with u.

    Advocate Jiwan Pal Singh

      Tis Hazari Court, Delhi

  • Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at LawRato.com and has been responded by one of the Motor Accident Lawyers at LawRato.com to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at LawRato.com or book a Detailed Consultation with a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.
  • Related Articles

Consult best Motor Accident lawyers in India

Similar questions

We had claimed for about 12 lacs . Now Insurance company lawyer calls and abruptly…
I met with an accident few days back but the day I had an accident…

one of my friend died in road accident in rohini sector 8, he was sitting…

In MVC case there is no name in charge sheet of injured person then how…

Motor Accident Lawyers in India

Advocate Harish Malhotra

  District Court
 Experience: 19 years

Advocate R C Mahajan

  Paschim Vihar
 Experience: 23 years

Advocate J. P. Rinwa

  Swej Farm, Sodala
 Experience: 16 years

Advocate JV Bhosale

 Experience: 9 years

View all >>