Is wife's physical presence necessary for mutual divorce?

How can we file for a mutual Divorce without my wife's physical presence in Delhi. We have stayed in Delhi after marriage and my wife is in Bihar now. She will be unable to come to Delhi but is ready for a mutual Divorce.


How can we proceed with this?




A divorce by mutual consent is filled by both parties jointly and their joint statement is recorded in the court which is signed by both in the presence of their lawyers and the Family District Judge.


This process is repeated twice, once when the joint petition is filled which is also called the first motion and after six months, which is referred to as the second motion. After this process is complete and the Judge is satisfied of the consent of both for a divorce and all issues like custody of child if any, permanent alimony and maintenance, issue relating to return of stridhan of the wife and settlement of jointly owned properties are sorted, the divorce is granted.


However, in special circumstances, the Delhi and Punjab Courts have allowed a power of attorney for seeking divorce by mutual consent where for some reason, either of the parties were not able to be present at any one of the motion as discussed above.


So, you have the option of filing the divorce through a power of attorney, however, you shall have to adduce sufficient cause as to why your wife is unable to appear for the proceedings and it is up to the Court to allow/deny the request.


Kindly contact us for any further details and action. 


Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

Popular Divorce Lawyers

Advocate Rajesh Rai
Sector-19, Dwarka, Delhi
19 years Experience
Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
32 years Experience
Advocate Wg Cdr Ajit Kakkar (Retd)
Dwarka, Delhi
19 years Experience
Advocate Jai Shiv Darshan Giri
Santoshi Nagar, Ring Road Chowk, Raipur
14 years Experience

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Divorce Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Articles

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Legal Services

Court Marriage

4.8 | 94 ratings
Work with a local experienced family advocate to guide you through your court marriage.
Legal Notice / Reply to Legal Notice for Divorce

4.6 | 45 ratings
30 Min Intro call + Start to finish help
60 Min Marriage / Relationship Counselling Session by Phone

No Ratings
60 Min telephonic counselling session with an expert relationship counsellor
15 Minutes Divorce Advice Session by Phone

4.8 | 371 ratings
Ask questions and get advice from a local experienced advocate on divorce and separation
File for Mutual Divorce

4.8 | 241 ratings
Get hassle-free mutual divorce for both Indian and NRI couples through experienced lawyer in your city
Marriage Registration

4.8 | 170 ratings
Get your marriage registered through an experienced local advocate in the city of your residence
Similar questions

My wife has filed a divorce on the ground of cruelty,our marriage was under hindu marriage act,she is demanding 40 thousand one time alimony and 15000…

Read More

Marriage happened in Bhopal which is both parties hometown...but after marriage when I came to Bangalore I came to know the person I married is not in…

Read More

aged 63 i have been torched by my husband since 32 years who has married othervwomen without divorcing me its his self earned property so he desnt wan…

Read More

divorce matter given interim monthly payment as maintenance rs 20,000/- per month by court husband gives income tax returns very low saying his income…

Read More

Talk to a lawyer for your legal issue