Continue to LawRato.com with Google


Procedure to marry foreigner and register

I am resident of Bihar and am female.Me and my boyfriend who is from Bulgaria,we want to get married in August of this year when he will come to India for around 40 days.He can't stay longer than that due to his university classes. Is it possible to perform our marriage in 40 days time?Somewhere i read that one month stay in India is mandatory for both bride and groom,before applying at the marriage registrar office.Is it true? And we want to get married outside of Bihar, can we marry anywhere in India?

Answers (4)

Yes,it is possible to perform registered marriage within 40 days time.But at the time of submission of marriage registration form, certain documents are required including No Impediment Certificate/ NOC from concerned Embassy and valid visa.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

Dear Madam,
You have not clear in your query that from which religion you belong neither you have mentioned the religion of the guy to whom you want to marry, still you as per law there is no need of such period to staying in India to marry a girl according to special marriage Act, in my opinion you should go for court marriage in Patna Bihar, it will take 30 days to finalize your marriage.

Popular Family Lawyers

Advocate Wg Cdr Ajit Kakkar (Retd)
Dwarka, Delhi
18 years Experience
Advocate Preeti Joshi
District Court, Gurgaon
10 years Experience
Advocate Prabhjit Jauhar
Connaught Place, Delhi
21 years Experience
Advocate Harish Malhotra
District Court, Gurgaon
21 years Experience

The date of application. After 90 days, you can apply to any other place. In the meantime, if the application is done in any other office and some process is started on the application made earlier then it is not a requirement to answer it. So you can reapply.

In India civil weddings are governed by the provisions of the special marriage Act.under the act there is a 30 day residency requirement which means that either the bride or the groom has to b living in India at least 30 days prior to applying to the local registry office to get married.

"LawRato.com has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at LawRato.com and has been responded by one of the Divorce Lawyers at LawRato.com to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at LawRato.com or book a Detailed Consultation with a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Similar questions

Hi, My name is Kevin. I had a traditional marriage with no registration done with my ex in India. However, we have decided to seperate and we haven…

Read More

I had an arranged Hindu wedding in Nepal on 23 Feb 17... bride is till yet Indian citizen but broom is a Nepali citizen by birth... marriage happened …

Read More

hello Me and my wife stay in Mumbai and got married earlier this year in other state, Is it possible to apply for marriage certificate in Mumbai.…

Read More

I was married a year back. But till date my husband has not taken any interest in doing the marriage registration. Now he is taking it as advantage an…

Read More

Get free assistance for your legal issue