Husband's sister torturing and trying to capture mother's house

My husbands sister is not interested to live with her husband. So she is file a case against them for getting money .then only she will give divorce. Now she is living with us. Here the house is owned by mother. Father is no more. My husbands sister is mentally torturing me, using abusing words. Now she is saying that the house is hers.But mother already gave 30 lakhs for her as dowry. I have to obey her. Otherwise she will use to mentally irritating me. My husband is with me .what will I do?

Answers (3)

238 votes

If ur father in law died without writing a WILL, his share will go to ur sister in law also.Tell ur mother inlaw to write a will in favor of your husband.If harrsassment continues file a petition for domestic violence in the Court.

Googling your legal issue online?

The internet is not a lawyer and neither are you.
Talk to a real lawyer about your legal issue.

70 votes

The facts posted suggests no legal elements other than that the dowry allegedly given to her is not material or decisive in the given context. The only option is for you and your husband to have a separate residence.

Popular Family Lawyers

Advocate Pradeep Kumar
Rohini Court, Delhi
14 years Experience
Advocate Sunil Kumar Bakshi
Sector-16, Faridabad
34 years Experience
Advocate J. P. Rinwa
Swej Farm, Sodala, Jaipur
20 years Experience
Advocate Rajeev Nigam
Kanpur Nagar, Kanpur
27 years Experience
142 votes

The status of your mother's property or house is not explained. If the property was bought in your mother's name and the house is registered in her name, that means she has absolute right over the property. Your husband's sister does not have any right or claim over the property. If she is torturing you, you can make a complaint before the police and register a criminal case against her. If you need any further assistance you may contact me.

Report abuse?

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Family Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details. You may post your specific query based on your facts and details to get a response from one of the Lawyers at or contact a Lawyer of your choice to address your query in detail.

Related Questions

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."