Husband not registering marriage and beats me

26-Apr-2023 (In Family Law)
I was married a year back. But till date my husband has not taken any interest in doing the marriage registration. Now he is taking it as advantage and threatens that he can leave me and no one can do anything legal against him since the marriage is not registered. That's the reason he physically hurts without any scare for all matters and when he gets drunk.I just wanted to know if there is law which can punish him if he is not doing the registration ?? If he keeps hurting me physically again can I raise complain against him even if the marriage is not registered. Will legal action be taken against him ??
Answers (4)

Answer #1
881 votes
When did you got married ? What religion you are ?? When a man harass woman through physically or mental you can register the complain in All woman police station near by your jurisdiction ..... breach of peace 504 , insult woman at modesty woman section 509 ....
Answer #2
537 votes
Hello Madam,
Whether your Marriage is registered or not, that isn't a licence for your husband to harass you. What your husband does is Domestic Violence and as such your husband is liable to punished under criminal law and registration of marriage is irrelevant For this. For Divorce, if you can prove massage through other modes like marriage invitation, marriage photo etc that would suffice and you can seek divorce on the ground of physical cruelty.
Answer #3
774 votes
Though law insists upon marriage to be registered legally, it cannot be taken that when marriage is not registered, it is not a valid marriage. The moment the marriage is taken place with valid witnesses, then it is termed as valid marriage. Only the marriage can be nullified by jurisdictional court of law. So you need not worry about unregistered marriage, unless there is no evidence such as photo, video or any other witnesses. With regard to non registration of marriage, I do not think that there is no penal provisions to punish the person who is not getting themarriage registered.
Answer #4
991 votes
once a men and women entered in marriage life is enough to all legal proceedings so u don't worry... take a legal action .

Disclaimer: The above query and its response is NOT a legal opinion in any way whatsoever as this is based on the information shared by the person posting the query at and has been responded by one of the Divorce Lawyers at to address the specific facts and details.

Report abuse?

Comments by Users

No Comments! Be the first one to comment.

" has handpicked some of the best Legal Experts in the country to help you get practical Legal Advice & help."